By the end of the section, you’ll be able to:
- Describe the goal of writing assignments and what a teacher might expect to see from your writing
- Identify common forms of writing tasks in a college class
- Understand and utilize writing-process steps for the development of academic writing
- Differentiate between proofreading and revision, and explain the worth of each
- Identify techniques for ethical utilization of sources written down
Why Do Writing Skills Matter?
Obviously you can easily write. Plus in the age of Facebook and smartphones, you might be writing most of the time—perhaps more frequently than speaking. Many students today are awash in text like no other generation before.
So why spend yet more attention and time on writing skills? Research shows that deliberate practice—that is, close focus on improving one’s skills—makes all the difference in how one performs. Revisiting the craft of writing—especially at the beginning of college—will improve your writing significantly more than simply producing page after page in identical way that is old. Becoming an communicator that is excellent help you save lots of time and hassle in your studies, advance your job, and promote better relationships and a higher quality of life off the job. Honing your writing is a use that is good of scarce time.
Also, cons >1 it had been the single-most favored skill in this survey. In addition, many of one other valued skills are grounded in written communication: “Critical thinking and analytical reasoning skills” (81 percent); “The capacity to analyze and solve complex problems” (75 percent); and “The power to locate, organize, and evaluate information from multiple sources” (68 percent). This increased exposure of communication probably reflects the reality that is changing of in the professions. 続きを読む